Sunday 10 May 2015

Not A Shrug

There's a story behind the name of this sweater. I actually knit this as a shrug from a free pattern on Ravelry. It was knit from the top-down.  It had short sleeves and tied under the bust.  I think I wore it about 5 times.  It sat in my closet for over 5 years.  I would take it out and look at it, put it on, then take it off again.  If it`s hot enough for me to not be wearing sleeves it`s too hot to be wearing a shrug.

The yarn is Fleece Artist and I loved the colour so I decided to go on a mission to find a matching or coordinating yarn.  Last summer I went into Toronto to Romni Wool and I found this variegated yarn with the exact same colour blue in it!  I bought 2 skeins and ended up using 1 and half skeins.

I pulled out the edging with ties and and picked up the stitches. I did a few rows of alternating the 2 yarns then just used the variegated yarn.  At the bottom I used the lace pattern from the free Little Oaks shawl.


For the sleeves I ripped out the garter stitch cuff and then picked up the stitches and again alternated the 2 yarns for a few rows and then just decreased every 6 rows till the sleeves were as narrow as I wanted.  I did an i-cord bind-off using the solid blue to tie it all together.


I love it!  It fits perfect. It has long sleeves, which I love.  It will be a staple over these warmer months.  Sweaters really are my favourite thing to knit. This is sweater number 5 that I`ve knit this year! And off course I am wearing this sweater as part of the Me-made-May challenge as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment